Private LTEs vs. Wi-Fi as wireless LAN
The modern age is the age of the internet, and everywhere you go these days, you will find the use of the internet. Internet usage is so widespread that even everyday domestic chores and jobs now require the internet.
The internet can help companies grow, people learn, work more smoothly, and enjoy life more adequately, all from the comfort of their houses.
The internet is of great help to modern-day citizens. And amidst the global pandemic, its use has snowballed and reached different heights.
People run businesses online from the comfort of their sofas and meet deadlines. We can research on any matter regarding anything from the internet.
The two primary sources of internet connections are cellular or private LTEs and broadband. Such widespread use also requires a good internet connection.
This article will cover the comparison between broadband and private LTEs as wireless LAN.
LTE vs. Wi-Fi
LTE is short for Long Time Evolution. A private LTE is a standardized system designed for the internet as a wireless LAN to fulfill the needs of modern-day use, including domestic and organizational use.
Companies and the traditional cellular companies working in that area can offer as a service private LTEs.
However, other sources of private LTEs can be cable companies and host network providers working in tandem to provide LTEs for users.
Wireless local area networks (LAN) are everywhere these days, and people need the internet every time and everywhere. If the connectivity’s halt for even a few minutes nowadays, the world stops, literally.
Any person who has used a cellular device has more or less come across a private LTE. They work similarly to broadband or Wi-Fi services.
Still, they get controlled by a centralized and single organization integrated into existing IT infrastructures and paradigms.
Use of private LTEs:
- Hospitals and clinics use private LTEs as a source of wireless LAN. In such a place, it is always a mode of emergency, and people have little time to spare; hence, the use of fast and efficient private LTEs saves time and cost. People can even use these LTEs from their mobile phones in cases of emergency.
- Offices and workplaces are another major use case for the upcoming private LTEs. Many offices and workplaces require internet connections these days. Such workplaces cannot stop their routines upon internet stoppage; hence, private LTEs are a big yes for them.
- Retail business is another primary user of the private LTEs’ wireless LAN networks, as retail demands fast transactions and quick management of the resources. Such a business can only flourish with a proficient supply of internet resources, and LTEs provide that.
- Amusement and theme parks are places to enjoy and have fun with friends and family; hence, internet activities here are minimal and but present. Private LTEs also manage these internet activities, as Wi-Fi resources are not available in such locations.
- Rural and remote areas lack resources, and hence the word internet is rare there. But private LTEs and cellular companies have also placed their roots in such places. And now we can easily access the internet on our mobile phones even in remote areas.
Use of Wi-Fi as wireless LAN:
- Domestic and household areas are the most significant users of Wi-Fi in the modern era. These are easily accessible as Wi-Fi services are easy to install and work in such areas.
Daily usage of Wi-Fi in homes and households is also increasing daily.
- Offices and workplaces are other significant users of such Wi-Fi services. In such locations, they require minimal force and cost. These places, however, use LTEs also if Wi-Fi services stop temporarily.
- Schools and colleges often have a public or private company providing them with Wi-Fi resources as wireless LAN. These localities have many users and often compromise on speed and quality over quantity.
- Large-scale organizations running businesses and hosting websites use servers for themselves, which require a constant supply of internet and require large amounts of data to store and manipulate. They often prefer Wi-Fi companies to provide them with wireless LANs with extensive storage capabilities.
The use cases mainly depend on the users and the limitations of any technology. However, the significant advantages and disadvantages of private LTEs and Wi-Fi as LANs get explained:
- Coverage: A Wi-Fi or a broadband device is short-ranged and mainly covers a radius of 5 to 10 square feet. It is also a reason they get used primarily in small areas such as offices and households.
A private LTE covers extensive areas and gets spread throughout a city or a society.
- Mobility: A Wi-Fi or a broadband device gets fitted in a particular place. Its use can only occur in that area; hence, Wi-Fi devices are less mobile and get used in a limited range. Private LTEs, however, are highly mobile and can cover extensive areas. We can even use them from anywhere.
- Capacity: A private LTE handles high-capacity use and immense user rates. Wi-Fis are smaller-scale devices and cover less internet traffic.
- Quality: Private LTE and Wi-Fi rate high in quality, and experts provide good quality internet services. LTEs, however, have fewer interrupts in connections as compared to broadband and Wi-Fi service.
- Security: Private LTE companies and mobile carrier devices ensure more advanced security methods, making private LTE connections less prone to attacks by hackers. Whereas a Wi-Fi device is also secure, but hackers can still attack such devices.
We can say private LTEs are better than Wi-Fi-based networks. But it depends on the use case. If you are a large-scale company with many users, a private LTE would be better. Still, if you live in a commercial area in a house, a Wi-Fi service would be of better use.